Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Color by Countee Cullen


Source of book: I own this

This is my second official choice for Black History Month this year.

Here is the list of Black History Month selections since I started this blog, and also some related books:

2016:    Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin
    And
    Black Boy (American Hunger) by Richard Wright
       

Other notable books by African American or African authors:

Poems by Phillis Wheatley
Zone One by Colson Whitehead
I Greet The Dawn (Poems) by Paul Laurence Dunbar
Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
The Fire This Time edited by Jesmyn Ward
Swing Time by Zadie Smith
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
The Honor Code by Kwame Anthony Appiah
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe 
White Rage by Carol Anderson
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Brian Mealer
Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi

Books on Black History by other authors:

The Slaves’ War by Andrew Ward
Devil In The Grove by Gilbert King
Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith

***

I have a particular love for the Harlem Renaissance. The flowering of art, music, literature, and culture in 1920s New York was a magical time that left us with so many immortal masterworks. 

It was not a coincidence that the 1920s also saw the rebirth of the Ku Klux Klan, the rise of white nativism, and vicious anti-immigrant sentiment. For every advance of people of color, there is a vicious whitelash

Picture from the cover of my book.
Countee Cullen tends to be the forgotten poet of the Harlem Renaissance, mostly because he was eclipsed by Langston Hughes in popularity. One factor in this was public taste, which switched from older formal poetry to a free verse modernism. Hughes was the new, while Cullen represented the old. It is a shame, in my opinion, because Cullen was a skilled and evocative poet, and his mastery of an older art form should not be held against him. 

Color was Cullen’s first collection, published in 1925. It is divided into four sections. The first, also entitled “Color,” contains poems with racial themes and characters. The second is a collection of epitaphs. Third is a handful of poems about love, while the fourth is a miscellany. In addition, a longer poetic introduction, “To You Who Read My Book,” expresses the author’s desire that his words survive the ravages of time. 

After the introduction, the collection opens with what has to be Cullen’s best known poem, a sonnet that asks a question that haunted Cullen throughout his life.

Yet Do I Marvel

I doubt not God is good, well-meaning, kind,
And did He stoop to quibble could tell why
The little buried mole continues blind,
Why flesh that mirrors Him must some day die,
Make plain the reason tortured Tantalus
Is baited by the fickle fruit, declare
If merely brute caprice dooms Sisyphus
To struggle up a never-ending stair.
Inscrutable His ways are, and immune
To catechism by a mind too strewn
With petty cares to slightly understand
What awful brain compels His awful hand.
Yet do I marvel at this curious thing:
To make a poet black, and bid him sing!

The form is interesting, neither strictly Petrarchan nor English. The first two quatrains are rhymed like an English sonnet, but they clearly form the first half of the poem - there is no third quatrain. The final six lines very much fit the pattern of the Petrarchan sonnet. 

I love how Cullen saves the central idea of the poem to the very last line. We are teased with three examples: the blind mole who never sees the light, Tantalus who can never grasp the food he craves, and Sisyphus who must endlessly engage in futile labor. And then the twist of the knife: the black poet who must sing. Fortunately, Cullen was a bit wide of the mark: his words, and those of other African American poets, would prove to be anything but futile and pointless. Indeed, despite prejudice and the violence of the KKK, over the next century, the world would literally be singing the songs and the poems of black poets and musicians. 

Many of the poems in the first section directly address the intersection of race and class in society, and the casual disdain which African Americans experience. Cullen uses his art to insist on the full humanity of those looked on with contempt. I found this one particularly interesting. 

Black Magdalens

These have no Christ to spit and stoop
To write upon the sand,
Inviting him that has not sinned
To raise the first rude hand.

And if He came they could not buy
Rich ointment for His feet;
The body's sale scarce yields enough
To let the body eat.

The chaste clean ladies pass them by
And draw their skirts aside,
But Magdalens have a ready laugh;
They wrap their wounds in pride.

They fare full ill since Christ forsook
The cross to mount a throne,
And Virtue still is stooping down
To cast the first hard stone.

Cullen touches a raw nerve here. There is a long history here in the United States of attributing hyper-sexuality to African Americans, as a defensive mechanism against acknowledgement of the equally long history of white men raping black women. It continues today, with a never-ending parade of culture war asshats claiming that if black people would simply stop fucking so much, they would be equal. Sigh. “Virtue” still is picking up the stones.

Later in the collection is a longer poem about Judas Iscariot, which takes a look at the story from a different perspective: what if Judas was truly doing what he believed Christ asked him to do? Wasn’t he too an instrument of the Ineffable Divine Plan? 

Another poem with a religious theme is this one, which draws on the tradition that Simon of Cyrene was black. (Cyrene was in North Africa, which had a large Jewish population. It is at least possible that Simon was a dark-skinned convert to Judaism, hence the tradition.) 

Simon the Cyrenian Speaks

He never spoke a word to me,
And yet He called my name;
He never gave a sign to me,
And yet I knew and came.

At first I said, "I will not bear
His cross upon my back;
He only seeks to place it there
Because my skin is black."

But He was dying for a dream,
And He was very meek,
And in His eyes there shone a gleam
Men journey far to seek.

It was Himself my pity bought;
I did for Christ alone
What all of Rome could not have wrought
With bruise of lash or stone.

This next one was written after reading Batouala, a novel by French Guyanese author RenĂ© Maran. It is another sonnet (which may be why I like it), but on the theme of love. 

The Dance of Love

All night we danced upon our windy hill,
Your dress a cloud of tangled midnight hair,
And love was much too much for me to wear
My leaves; the killer roared above his kill,
But you danced on, and when some star would spill
Its red and white upon you whirling there,
I sensed a hidden beauty in the air;
Though you danced on, my heart and I stood still. 

But suddenly a bit of morning crept
Along your trembling sides of ebony;
I saw the tears your tired limbs had wept,
And how your breasts heaved high, how languidly
Your dark arms moved; I drew you close to me;
We flung ourselves upon our hill and slept. 

Most of the poems are short, but there are a couple of longer ones, most notably “The Shroud of Color,” a musing conversation with god over the problem of being black in a time of prejudice. Filled with biblical allusions, striking metaphors, and beautiful language, it is worth a read

The epitaphs are fun. (I confess to enjoying epitaphs, particularly by skilled poets. For example, Edgar Lee Masters and John Donne.) Here are my favorites:

For a Cynic

Birth is a crime
All men commit;
Life gives them time
To atone for it;
Death ends the rhyme
As the price for it.

For a Lady I Know

She even thinks that up in heaven
Her class lies late and snores,
While poor black cherubs rise at seven
To do celestial chores.

For a Virgin

For forty years I shunned the lust
Inherent in my clay;
Death only was so amorous
I let him have his way.

For an Unsuccessful Sinner

I boasted my sins were sure to sink me
Out of all sound and sight of glory;
And the most I’ve won for all my pains
Is a century of purgatory.

For Myself

What’s in this grave is worth your tear;
There’s more than the eye can see;
Folly and Pride and Love lie here
Buried alive with me.

I love the rapier wit in these. I’ll end with this one, with its unusual tercet form.

The Wise

Dead men are the wisest, for they know
How far the roots of flowers go,
How long a seed must rot to grow.

Dead men alone bear frost and rain
On throbless heart and heatless brain,
And feel no stir of joy or pain.

Dead men alone are satiate;
They sleep and dream and have no weight,
To curb their rest, of love or hate.

Strange, men should flee their company,
Or think me strange who long to be
Wrapped in their cool immunity. 

My exploration of Countee Cullen before this was limited to the few works I found in anthologies. I was therefore thrilled when I found a hardback collected poems at a library sale. I am looking forward to reading the rest in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment