Thursday, January 4, 2024

Christmas Books 2023

 

For eleven of the twelve years since I started this blog, I have made a short post about the books (and sometimes music) I received as gifts for Christmas. (And in this case, also the used books I found in my post-Christmas shopping.) In addition to being fun, it also serves as a teaser for the reviews to be written in the upcoming year. As usual, I try to link the reviews to these posts as I write them.

 

Here are the past editions:

 

2011

2013

2014

2015

2016

2017

2018

2019

2020

2021

2022 

***

 

This year, my list includes the pile of used books I found at stores in Arcata and Portland (Powells!) during our Thanksgiving trip. Oh, and due to a rainy day, I ended up at Phoenix in San Luis Obispo and a few more books managed to invite themselves to my library…



1.      1. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte

 

The forgotten Bronte sister, the one who wrote realistic novels rather than lurid Gothic works. When she is remembered, it is usually for her first novel, Agnes Grey, which is partly autobiographical. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is one of the earliest books to address domestic violence and the impossible position Victorian law and society placed abused women in. I picked up this book at Powells, at a significantly lower price than I have seen it online. 



2.      2. Rain of Gold by Victor Villasenor


 

This book tells the true story of the author’s family: their escape from Mexico during the revolution. I have had the book on my list for years, but because it is long and popular, I have been reluctant to borrow it from the library. I saw a hardback copy at Powell’s, and decided it was enough of a classic to add to my own collection. 



3.      3. Poetry and Prose by Stephen Crane (Library of America)


 

These days, Library of America hardbacks are expensive, even used, unless you find an underpriced copy somewhere. I found this one at Tin Can Mailman in Arcata, and snapped it up. I haven’t read Crane since I was in high school. I suspect I will appreciate it writing more as an adult, and not be put off by the pessimism of the era. 



4.     4. Selected Poetry of Lord Byron


 

Yep, weirdly, I did not have any Byron in my poetry collection. I found a Modern Library hardback at Powell’s, which has an amazing poetry selection - several long rows, rather than the single shelf places like Barnes and Noble tend to have. 



5.      5. The Works of Matthew Arnold


 

A dozen years ago, I borrowed some Arnold from the library, and wrote about his earliest poems. I never got back to reading him, in part because I lacked a book of my own. This paperback Wordsworth Poetry Library collection will join my others of that imprint. 

6.      6. Les Fleures du Mal by Charles Baudelaire


 

This is another book that has been on my list for a while - I expected to find a copy online, but they were quite expensive. This dual language edition, translated by Richard Howard, was not particularly expensive used at Powell’s, so I bought it. 



7.      7. On the Nature of Things by Lucretius

 


Another classic I wanted to own. Is it poetry or philosophy? More like both, and a tremendous influence during the Renaissance on philosophy and science alike. I found this copy at Powell’s. 



8.      8. Under the Eye of the Storm by John Hersey


 

I have read several books by John Hersey - not just his thoughtful and influential Hiroshima. Whether he writes about the China he grew up in during the 1920s, a bad LSD trip, or notable personages, he always has something interesting to say. I found this one for an inexpensive price at Tin Can Mailman. 



9.      9. Verses and Versions edited by Vladamir Nabokov


 

This is an unusual book that I ran across in Arcata. Nabokov is known for his own writing, but he also translated extensively. In this book, he has selected and translated Russian poetry from the last three centuries. 



1010.  Tono-Bungay by H. G. Wells


 

I have never seen this book for sale anywhere, particularly in a nice used hardback edition. So you can bet I snapped up the Heritage edition at Tin Can Mailman really fast. I am surprised this book isn’t more popular - Wells himself thought it was his most polished book, and its satire of pseudo-medicine, the Fabian society, and late-Victorian ennui seems like it would play well today. I haven’t read it yet, but look forward to it. 



1111.  Youth, Tyhpoon, and The End of the Tether by Joseph Conrad


 

This three-in-one Heritage hardback probably duplicates some of what I already have, but it is in great shape, and will look good on my shelves. If I can find space. I love Conrad’s writing style, and particularly have enjoyed his less colonialist works: The Secret Agent and Under Western Eyes. My fourth kid also likes him, so we may have some books to talk about. 



1212.  The Revolt of the Angels


 

Another completely unexpected find at Tin Can Mailman. I haven’t read any Anatole France yet, but I hear he was a great satirist. This is one of his last books, and is a spoof of the “fall of Lucifer” - perhaps a bit of a riff on Paradise Lost. In a Heritage boxed edition? Sign me up. 



1313.  Obscure Destinies by Willa Cather


 

My wife found this one for me as a used book. It contains three longer short stories, each about the death of a character and that effect on the other characters. I love Cather, so this should be an interesting addition to the collection. 



1414.  Assembling California by John McPhee


 

I actually got a copy of this for my eldest, the geology major, but didn’t have my own copy. My wife found a used copy for me. Although McPhee is delightful to read about anything, many of his books are about geology. (See my previous post on Basin and Range.) This book is about the complicated geology of California, and should be a fascinating read. 



1515.  The Mysteries by Bill Watterson and John Kascht


 

The legendary author of Calvin and Hobbes has finally, after more than two decades, written something new. This looks to be a dark picture book and story. Another gift from my wife. 



1616.  OrdinaryPsalms by Julia Levine


 

A volume of poetry my wife picked up on a work-related trip to Davis earlier this year. I confess I am not familiar with the author, but it is always fun to explore a new author. 



1717.  The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker


 

Another gift from my wife. This is the all-time favorite book of a friend of ours, and when a friend who is a book sort of person loves a book, it is definitely worth giving it a try. 



1818.  The Collected Stories of Noel Coward


 

Another used book find from my wife. I am really looking forward to reading this one - Noel Coward’s wicked and dry sense of humor, British style, is something I enjoy. 



1919.  Oroonoko, The Rover, and other Works by Aphra Behn


 

Aphra Behn was likely the first woman to write professionally in the English language, back in the 17th Century. I haven’t read anything by her, but found this inexpensive used paperback at Phoenix Books in the San Luis Obispo over the New Years weekend. 



2020.  Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky


 

This is a book that has been on my list for a while. Nemerovsky was a French writer born into a Russian-Jewish family. When the Nazis invaded France, she and her husband were arrested, and died in Auschwitz. Their daughters escaped discovery. This book was written during the Nazi occupation, and was never published during her lifetime. It was rediscovered and translated into English in 2006. I found a used paperback at Phoenix.



2121.  DavidGolder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, and The Courilof Affair by Irene Nemirovsky


 

Speaking of Nemirovsky, I also found this Everyman’s Library hardback of four of her earlier novels. Only the first was translated into English previously. Another book discovered at Phoenix. 



2222.  The New Spoon River by Edgar Lee Masters


 

Spoon River Anthology is one of my favorite poetry collections. I discovered it during high school, and eventually read the whole thing and blogged about it. I didn’t realize, however, that there was a sequel, written about a decade later, which is more modernistic and dark. I ran across an old hardback of it at Phoenix. 



2323.  A Collection of Essays by George Orwell


 

Another find at Phoenix. It probably doesn’t need any introduction. I already mentioned in a post years ago that I first read Animal Farm in Jr. High, and it is one of the most influential books I have read. 



2424.  Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot


 

I love George Eliot, and own most of her novels. I did not have, however, these three early novellas: The Sad Fortunes of the Reverend Amos Barton, Mr. Gilfil’s Love-Story, and Janet’s Repentance. I couldn’t resist grabbing this used paperback at Phoenix. 



2525.  Open Secrets by Alice Munro


 

Yeah, I know, I haven’t even read all of the other Alice Munro books I own. But a nice hardback of a story collection I don’t have? At Phoenix for a good price? Couldn’t stop myself. I promise I will read and post about a Munro book this year. 



2626.  Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain


 

I own most of what Twain wrote in some format or other. This old hardback from Phoenix matches a few others. While readers have never adored this book like they do his more humorous works, Twain himself thought it was the best book he ever wrote. I’ll have to read it and decide for myself. 




And a hat….

 

Not really book related, but my wife knitted me a hat. She’s really, really good at knitting. 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment