Sunday, December 29, 2019

Christmas Books and Music 2019


For seven of the eight years since I started this blog, I have made a short post about the books (and sometimes music) I received as gifts for Christmas. (And in this case, also the used books I found in my post-Christmas shopping.) In addition to being fun, it also serves as a teaser for the reviews to be written in the upcoming year. As usual, I try to link the reviews to these posts as I write them.

Here are the past editions:


***

Here are the books from this year: 

1. A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters

My brother (who has excellent literary taste despite liking Dirk Pitt), got me this one in a nice used hardback edition. A number of years back, I read and enjoyed the first book in the Cadfael Chronicles, A Morbid Taste for Bones. This book is number 16 in the series by date of publication, but isn’t considered part of the 20 in the official series. The reason for this is apparently that it is set fully 17 years before the first book, and is thus a kind of prequel to the main series. I assume it therefore tells of the early days of Brother Cadfael. “Ellis Peters” is one of the noms de plume of Edith Parteger, who wrote in a variety of genres, in addition to translating works from Czech. I have to confess that my brother also gave me a hardback edition of The Heaven Tree Trilogy, a set of novels she wrote under her own name - and I have not yet read any of it yet. I need to change that. 




Another one from my brother. This one was recommended to him by an acquaintance with Spanish roots, and is apparently much better known there than here in the United States. Falcones is a lawyer who happens to have written a bestseller. This one is set in the 14th Century, and is, if the cover is to be believed, “A historical thriller.” Sounds promising enough. In general, I have liked books written by lawyers, from Sir Walter Scott to C. J. Sansom, so that’s a point in this book’s favor.


3. The Patch by John McPhee


My wife’s sister’s husband got this for me. This is an unknown book and author for me, although it seems probable that I have read one or more of his essays in The New Yorker over the years without paying particular attention to the byline. McPhee is considered one of the pioneers of “creative nonfiction,” writing that is factually accurate but utilizes literary writing techniques to create compelling narratives. In other words, the kind of nonfiction writing we take for granted now. This book is his seventh collection of essays, published just last year. (Also, bonus points because it was purchased at Warwick’s in La Jolla.) McPhee’s style seems at a glance to be very much the sort of writing I enjoy, so I may well end up reading more of his books.


4. How To Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
 


This was a gift from my wife, and is one I have wanted to read since it came out. If the Trump Era has taught me anything, it is that there is a need for decent people to be actively antiracist, not merely “I’m not racist” collaborators with white supremacy. Kendi’s short articles really resonated with me, particularly his division of people into active racists (like, say, Trump and Stephen Miller), those who consider themselves “neutral” or “colorblind” - the “white moderates” MLK castigated, and true antiracists: actively pushing back against racism. 


5. How to Invent Everything by Ryan North

  
This one sounds like a lot of fun. “A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveler.” North is also known for the Dinosaur comic, and his Choose Your Own Adventure remixes of Shakespeare’s plays. So, well, a weird variety of things. And definitely the sort of book I would read. 

6. Music

As usual, an eclectic mix. My wife got me The Goat Rodeo Sessions, an epic collaboration between Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Chris Thile, and Edgar Meyer. I’ve listened to it on streaming, and it is nice to have a CD copy. 

My wife’s brother has introduced me to a number of delightful and non-mainstream artists over the years. This year, he got me no fewer than four albums. First up was two albums by Tennis, namely Yours Conditionally, and Young & Old. I’ll admit I hadn’t heard of the group, but my 16 year old had. Maybe I’m old? Next was Bon Iver’s latest, i, i. Finally, he found a promo copy of Future Me Hates Me by New Zealand band, The Beths. I got a chance to listen to this one on our vacation, and I am definitely digging it. 

I’ll add a final one in, which wasn’t technically a gift - except from myself. One of our local bands, the Jay Smith Group, released a couple of albums this year, and I really love their collaboration with Marlon Mackey (who sadly moved across the country so I don’t get to hear him in person now.) Just Stop is well worth the purchase

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a good mix again this year. I bought the Kendi book when it first came out, but haven’t read it yet. It will be interesting to compare notes on this one, but I suspect you will get to it before me. I also own his other book, Stamped from the Beginning, which I still need to read. I can’t seem to get ahead no matter how much I read.

    Happy new year, Tim. Wishing you much reading, listening and hiking pleasure in 2020.

    ReplyDelete