Tuesday, June 29, 2021

RENT (Ovation Theater 2021)

There is something special about seeing live theater under any circumstances, but after nearly a year and a half of Covid shutdowns, it is doubly so. Fortunately, a number of artists found ways to give virtual performances, whether as part of a Zoom production, lego stop motion, or other distanced means. But still, it isn’t the same as being together in the same room, and feeling the electricity between the performers and the audience. It really is a collaborative thing, something deeply human that we need. As a professional musician, I too have missed this. I am grateful that I have been able to participate in recorded concerts, but I am eager to get back on stage with live audiences. 

 

So, there was a special energy last weekend, when two of my kids and I went to see a local production of RENT, the first live production for Ovation since last March. As Jason McClain took the stage for the opening announcements, he said something that warmed my heart - and I’m sure those of everyone else present: every single one of our local theaters has managed to stay afloat during Covid, and have announced their seasons. They made it. We made it. 

 

I had never seen RENT before, believe it or not. However, I did want to see it, as did my eldest. I knew it was more or less based on La Boheme, and I knew the plot of that one pretty well. This helped in following the plot. That is my one complaint about RENT is that it can be a bit difficult to follow the thread at times. (In this production, there were a few sound glitches that didn’t help.) I recommended that my kids take a look at the plot summary afterward, if they didn’t catch what happened. I might say, in any case, that a solid knowledge of La Boheme is a real bonus for enjoying RENT, as there are so many more parallels and “easter eggs” than I expected. Including a number of hidden musical references. (Musetta’s Waltz is obvious, but there are others…) 

 

The plot isn’t an exact parallel, of course. The biggest change is that they kill off Schaunard, aka the drag queen Angel, rather than Mimi. I guess modern audiences couldn’t handle Mimi’s death, and needed a resurrection? Or maybe a Shakespearian almost-tragedy was intended? 

 

A few of the parallels were particularly delightful. The conversion of the coquette Musetta into the brassy and oddball “performance artist” Maureen was a lot of fun. I mean, the riff on “Hey Diddle Diddle” was so over-the-top bad that it was...well something to watch. The “light my candle” meet-cute between Roger and Mimi mirrored the Puccini scene to perfection. Mark and Tom Collins seemed perfect updates of Marcello the painter and Colline the philosopher. 

 

As usual, Ovation Theater does a lot with a small stage, including choreography, and (my favorite part) live musicians. This is a small town, so I know a few people in the band, shall we say. 

 

I’ll give a general call-out to the cast, with just a particular mention of a few. Cody Garcia’s drag performance as Angel was excellent, and a bit of comedy in an otherwise serious musical. (Also, he managed to overcome a dead mike, and project well enough to be heard over the instruments - that’s professional artistry.) Jonathan Canez brooded and moped his way through Roger - Puccini would be proud. Braeden Addison has long been one of my favorite local actors, just because he is fun to watch in any part. In this case, he brought his slightly goofy charm to the part of Mark, the aspiring film maker. Sure, Mark’s girlfriend dumped him and came out as lesbian, he has no money, and Roger is barely holding it together. But he still has a temperamental optimism and calm presence that keeps everyone from falling apart completely. He and Liz Williams were hilarious in their duet, “The Tango Maureen.” Kenneth Labron was convincing as Tom Collins, and made a great foil for Angel. Christina Lauren was full diva as Maureen. 

 

More than anything, though, it is such a pleasure to see our local thespians back on stage, doing what they do, what they love. Their joy and excitement really came through. Wherever you are, get your vaccine, wear your mask, and go out and encourage and support the arts wherever you are. The soul of art isn’t really in the big acts (although they are a lot of fun, and superbly performed) - it is in the community, the everyday people keeping the flame alive in cities and towns around the world. 

 

RENT runs two more weekends. You can get tickets here

Publicity photo, complete with "date" from the setting of the play.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment