Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Henry Reed Inc. by Keith Robertson

Source of book: I own this.

 

In a sign that I am getting older, I now no longer have any kids in single digits. That’s kind of sad. I am realizing that I will not be reading to my kids forever. But, while I still have time, I am enjoying the experience. 

 

Right now, my youngest is at the age where being read to is fun for her, but also the books she enjoys are more advanced. Which means many of my favorite books from childhood are perfect for reading together. 

 

Henry Reed Inc. is the first in a series of five by Keith Robertson featuring the titular character and his friend Midge. Henry is the teenaged son of an American diplomat, who spends his summers with his aunt and uncle in a tiny, well, town is too strong of a word, in New Jersey. Midge is their neighbor, and becomes Henry’s friend and co-conspirator. Each book takes place during a summer, and is described in a rather serious and deadpan style in Henry’s diary. 

 

The deadpan style, as well as Henry’s super-serious nature contrasts well with the rather madcap adventures and misadventures he and Midge have. Midge, on the other hand, is much more free-spirited and spontaneous than Henry - and she is every bit as smart. Confession here: one of my early crushes was Midge, particularly as drawn by Robert McCloskey. My wife, when she wears a pony tail of the right length, kind of looks like a more brunette Midge, and shares her intelligence and common sense. 

 

 Henry and Midge - and the ill-fated weather balloon experiment.

 

Despite the ages of the protagonists, there is no element of romance in the books. Rather, they are best buds. Considering the first book was published in 1958, this is kind of refreshing. Boys and girls who are…just friends, and that’s fine. Books like this are one reason that I never bought into the whole “men and women can’t be friends, because it will end up about sex” nonsense. I have, and have always had, female friends. We are friends, I treasure their friendship, and it isn’t about sex at all. I think one of the reasons that this works is that I do not assume women want to sleep with me. Thus, I do not see friendliness as somehow “flirting” or making an invitation. It’s just being friends. (Needless to say, I do NOT subscribe to the “Mike Pence Rule.”) 

 

Henry and Midge have a great friendship too. Henry is a bit of a mild sexist at the beginning, although the fact that Midge is a year younger is the greater factor in his presumption that he is more knowledgeable. He also has the stereotypical “only-child syndrome” exacerbated by the fact that he doesn’t have a stable set of friends or continuity in where he lives. So his social skills play better with adults than his peers. 

 

It doesn’t take long, however, for Henry to get a new perspective. Midge will not back down. She is easily as tough as he is, as determined as he is, and just assumes she is his equal in every way. She’s right, of course, even if he forgets it. Robertson’s writing is interesting in this regard. Because the story is told solely from Henry’s perspective, in his diary, you get just his spin. But the facts themselves undermine Henry’s self-image. It’s amusing to see unfold. 

 

The events themselves are hilarious. An escaped rabbit, a cat that hitches a ride in a balloon, an “oil strike” that turns out to be...well...something else entirely. Uptight neighbors with a secret they guard carefully. And a beagle who is a true force of chaos. My kid giggled through a lot of it. She is kind of like Midge herself, a bit feral, ornery as they come, and loves to laugh at crazy stuff that happens. 

 

If I recall, the second book, Henry Reed’s Journey, was my favorite. We’ll see how it holds up. In any case, the first book was a lot of fun. 

 

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Henry Reed books. We only had a copy of "Henry Reed's Babysitting Service" at home, so I read that one multiple times, and then got the others from the library. I did really enjoy "Henry Reed's Journey," but I do vaguely remember a chapter that involved a Native American tribe that will almost certainly have aged poorly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that scene bothering me at the time, so, yeah. That's the one real blind spot in even the more progressive books of the 1950s. (The Homer Price books, otherwise excellent, have a few scenes...)

      Delete